Thursday, January 6, 2011

Don't Rush! What Stakes to Play.

I wasn't sure whether to name this blog "What a Rush" or "Don't Rush" when I wrote a draft about what tables stakes to play a while ago.  My decision is based on my playing results since then.

In order to get as many hands under my belt in the least amount of time, I thought it a good idea to play Rush poker on fulltiltpoker at the minimum $5NL tables to to accomplish this goal (That's the 2/5c tables with a $5 maximum buyin = $5 Table). Master bug warned me against rush poker due to the fact that my initial deposit to the bankroll didn't support the statistical variance I should expect at these stakes.  The bank roll should have 20-40 multiple of the maximum buyin for the table, So If I wanted to play the lowest $5 Rush then I should have a bank roll anywhere from $5 * 20 to $5 * 40 ($100 to $200) which I didn't.   In addition, Rush poker is a tougher game than regular normal-paced ring games, where stealing and aggression is the name of the winning game.  So if you are not comfortable with that yet, then you are risking losing your bank quickly. 

The play money tables are a circus where the only resemblance to poker is at the higher tables.  It's not easy to practice position play, stealing, or good decision making when the other players have nothing to lose.

So down to the lowest tables I go after learning the Rush lesson the hard way.  It is not a place for beginning poker.  :)

Time passes. Happy 2011!

I've been playing there for a couple of months now and I can comfortably say I'm leaving the tables with some change to add to my bankroll.  My favorite is the Turbo 1-Table Sit-and-Go game where you can sit down for 1/2-1hour and play a closed table.  I like this the most because it allows you to get familiar with the other players and their current playing style/state of mind, as well as gives you the chance to establish the image you want to portray during the early parts of the game.  The results have been good there.  I've been placing in the money regularly.  Here are a couple from yesterday and the day before with the table results (you can see results in the bottom left corner)






Master Bug, myself and a few others gathered yesterday for what is hoped to be a regular poker strategy session.  We are all looking forward to learning and improving by watching one another play online and discussing the thought process behind the decision making and the concepts that support these decisions. Active watching is one of the best ways to learn a new skill, poker and stock trading included.

The lesson to learn here is just as you have to manage your risk and control your trade size based on risk/reward based and your trading skill level, you have to do the same for poker.  Simple but crucial for survival.

Meanwhile, off to my own stock trading and poker strategy session.

Peace and profits to all.
StockNuts

No comments:

Post a Comment